Friday, 18 January 2008

Flying Mammals



Yes - that is 2 dolphins high above the water as if they are flying through the air. No - I did not photoshop the picture! The keepers were at pains to reinforce that the dolphins were only exhibiting traits on command that you would see in the wild.

Back in business now with all the necessary equipment to blog. The photo of the dolphins was taken at Seaworld on the Gold Coast. TeamSAK left the Sunshine Coast for a weekend on the Gold Coast staying overnight at SeaWorld Nara Resort.
The only reason we chose that establishment ( as opposed to one of the thousands of rooms on the high rise tourist strip) was that it provided an opportunity to do a behind the scenes tour in a small group before the park opened to the public. This was the highlight of the trip as we all got to feed and then pat a seal as well as enter shallow water to feed a dolphin. The hotel also offered a room and park entry package at a slight discount to rack rates which appealed to my thrifty ways. That and one entrance to the park is onsite with direct access to the monorail train that circles Seaworld.

Of all the theme parks on the Coast we chose Seaworld as it appeared to offer us the best mix of water sport, popular culture, child / S friendly rides and nature ( and hence educative focus!)
Public warning - With 30 photos from Seaworld there may be a few posts to come over the next weeks on this topic!

4 comments:

Ronnie said...

I love the dolphin show at Seaworld.

Anita said...

That's a great shot. I can never manage to capture anything in photos. My camera always clicks just after I press the button and I can never seem to get it right even when I try to compensate for the delay. I'm trying to blame the camera but I think it's just me.

Melinda said...

That is beautiful! We had planned to take our kids to SeaWorld in Orlando over the Christmas break, but those fell through due to Mom's illness.

It was one of my favorite all time vacation trips as a child. Everything was so stimulating and just amazing. Looking forward to more post about the Sea World trip!

Anonymous said...

Dolphin 1: What's that Flip?
Dolphin 2: Smile...more tourists...