Thursday, 21 August 2008

IP giveth and IP taketh away

Impossible Princess ( IP) is one of my favourite little people. Teamsak hosted Fairlie, Poolboy and IP for a casual dinner on Saturday night. IP arrived armed with a basket of beautiful origami she had made at local shopping centre that day. There were stars, boxes, balloons and a crane all carefully made in shiny coloured paper. They were all a gift from IP to me!

When I excused myself and headed upstairs to bed at 7.30pm the 2 dozen or so magnificent paper creations were sitting on the Tv cabinet. I intended to take some photos for this blog to show how talented IP is. The next morning everything was gone. My first thought was that we had been burgled but the plasma was still there. A quick call to Fairlie solved the dilemma. While IP had made them and given them to me she decided at the last minute to retain them and as creator of them felt she had rights to do so. Fairlie, Poolboy , Ahubby and Kingsley tried to convince her to leave them all or at least one star but IP stood firm in her convictions and took them all back.

What is that saying ? It is the thought that counts!

8 comments:

Melinda said...

I think she's going to be a copyright lawyer someday. A lovely gift AND a lovely story... so really two gifts? Can you tell I'm an optimist?

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

I think the Impossible Princess needs some remedial training in the concept of gift giving and receiving!

Anonymous said...

I think the story is perfect. She wanted to give you a gift of joy - she did. No one said you were going to keep them :)

Mary said...

It makes for a great story though.

It makes me want to some origami. Yet another craft for which I loved buying all the beautiful supplies, in this case paper, and now they sit there making me feel guilty.

Anonymous said...

I think you should have responded in the same way the Impossible Princess responded last time you gave her a present - her immediate reaction was "that's crap". [For the record the present was crap]

Kelly said...

Mmm...I don't know about that.

M said...

One can never turn one's back on a gift from a pre-schooler. Lock them away as soon as you get them, I say. Or, perhaps be relieved that they want to keep their origami/egg carton animal/papier mache pig.

Cell Block said...

Abby is prone to give you a gift (usually something that belongs to you in the first place) and then take it back from you once she feels you've had it long enough (usually about 2 minutes). And for now and evermore this item belongs to her.

People say its just a phase, but its a personality trait. Abby believes she runs the world, the world just hasn't complied yet.

I haven't been blogging lately but I did have some fun with one of Melinda's "fans" on her blog last night. Check it out.