Over the past few weeks I have been conducting a social experiment code named "Smile and Hi!". While the sample size surveyed wouldn't meet any good research standards a strong pattern is emerging. Smile and Hi as the name suggests is just that. Smile at the person coming toward me then offer some form of civil comment. Things like "good morning" "Great day isn't it?" "I like the colour of your coat" "How old is your dog?" "What a gorgeous puppy!" etc etc Nothing threatening - just social greetings and niceties.
The number of non responses or even acknowledgements could be that I am a physically threatening person. All 1.6m of me could , I concede, be misconstrued as the body of a mass murderer or career criminal. Maybe it is my poor command of English that makes me unintelligible to others. Both of those statement should be read with extreme sarcasm!!
To be fair the best response rate comes from mothers pushing prams and the more mature folks. Both sectors of the population who can make time for a chat and probably look forward to the interaction. I even struck up a conversation with one elderly gentlemen who told me was turning 89 the next day and goes for a walk everyday and no one ever speaks to him. I explained my social experiment and he was going to conduct his own so we could share results next time we passed each other while out walking.
DOS and MOS live in a seaside country town when street greetings are common and without fail are responded to . So what is it about my suburb? Is it my post (zip) code or me? I dare you all to try it out and see what type of response you get.
Of course there is the occasional downside. One of the people I say hello to in a coffee shop now detours to join me if he sees me at the table. I have been privy to the saga of the family feud for the last 12 months. It is better than a soap opera. On the other hand I have made 2 very good friends as a result of a casual hello and discussion about a newspaper in the same coffee shop.
Must finish up - time for the next sample in the research project!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Looking forward to the end results on this. Even in our small town not everyone says hello, hi or even g'day.
Interesting experiment. I might try it myself. I've noticed that when I smile, I usually get one in return. But southerners are notoriously chatty and friendly.... even when you'd rather us just go away!
Post a Comment