Sunday, 23 September 2007

Showday Sunday

It was a coming of age for Kingsley today when Ahubby took her on her first visit to the Royal Melbourne Show. Having finished another strong cycle of chemo yesterday I would not have been able to walk around the large showgrounds and check out all the exhibits so stayed home alone. Next year I will be there!

I last went as a child with friends of the family who were dairy farmers and members of the Royal Agriculture Society who put on the annual show. I loved the animal enclosures, livestock, wood chopping events , equestrian events and of course the showbags. I suspect today there is a much greater commercial focus and less on the agriculture, crafts and cooking displays. Sadly, owing to the equine flu there are no horses this year. Kingsley has gone off clutching her $5 pocket money so I am guessing a (small) showbag will come home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just checked out the website. Good to see the old favourite Bertie Beetles still have a showbag ( and one of the cheaper ones too). Hope Kingsley has a great time but don't think she will bring home any change from her pocket money!

Team SAK said...

Atleast $5 won't buy the most expensive Grand Ridge Brewery showbag I just saw on the website. A showbag for $999 ! Wonder how many they will sell.

Anonymous said...

My kids haven't been to a show for years now. They were supposed to go in Bowen earlier this year but due to the wet weather Brett's mum just went and grabbed the show bags for the kids. M-I-L payed for them so I didn;'t have to choke over the prices.


Ronnie

Anonymous said...

don't keep us in suspence - what showbag did she get?