For the record I love my late Grandma very much and still miss her 20 years later so this entry is in no way a slight against my Grandma or Grandmas in general.
I now understand how the early versions of the community program Neighbourhood Watch evolved. Grandma had a permanently bent venetian blind at eye level. This was because it was her viewing point to observe unusual behaviour of passersby , investigate unusual noises or observe cars that had remained stationary for too long. While on the phone to Fairlie S had to pause the conversation to do exactly the same thing.
OK - well we don't have venetian blinds but the effect was the same- trying to find a good vantage point which still gave me privacy. Three men, one in a suit, one in tradesman clothes and one in jeans and t shirt entered the front yard of the neighbour over the road. It appeared an unusual combination during the daytime knowing the single mum who lives there was at work. With all senses on alert, and thinking I was going to witness something untoward, I began relaying details to Fairlie. The business logo on the back on the "jean's man" tshirt was known to Fairlie who explained that they prepare houses for sale or re rental by by making them more visually saleable with minimal change. The suit man , therefore, must have been a "real estate agent" . " Overall man" must have been the tradesman. Problem averted but I must catch up with my neighbour to check out the goss and see if she is moving.
For the record Neighbour Hood Watch have been in existence around 20 years in our state. MoS and DoS are active members of their seaside town committee and Kingsley has even been a helper folding and delivering the local division's newsletter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Neighbourhood watch was alive and well in our street last night. Our kitchen window is level with the kitchen window of the house next door. When we go away we leave the blind open so that they can see any unusual activity in the house.
Last night after returning from a week away I got a phone call seconds after I accidentally let off the duress alarm at our house. Our neighbour was concerned at the dark hooded person lurking in our kitchen. That was me in my black rain jacket carrying luggage into the house.
For the record our neighbour rang us 35 minutes before the security service did!
Good to see Nosy-neighbour watch in action!
If I hadn't tweaked the curtain at a house we lived in a few years ago, I wouldn't have seen the suspicious character who had knocked on my door then go around to the back lane of our neighbours and proceed to break-in. Because of my nosy-neighbour action, the police were called and would-be burglars arrested.
Keep twitching those curtains, S! It's a community service.
Post a Comment