Wednesday, 10 October 2007

The Tunnel

No - unfortunately it is not a fun theme park ride! Today was another MRI tunnel ride for me. While I had fabulous technicians and first rate care at Cabrini, Malvern having a MRI is not really top of my list of things to do on Wednesday morning. It's not the claustrophobic issues of being inside a cylinder that worry me . Have you ever tried to remain completely still for 20 minutes? Today I relaxed so much that I was almost asleep when the procedure concluded.

If you want to learn more about MRI and see a machine check out How Stuff Works. Lucky the current ultra slim version of S fits inside the tunnel with plenty of room to spare!

6 comments:

M said...

Bravery is doing something that you fear, yet muster up the courage to do anyway. I think you are very brave to subject yourself to an MRI every week. I know you have excellent incentives to do so but I too have claustrophobic issues and know how those fears battle with rationality.

I'm so glad you've managed to relax in there.

Team SAK said...

M- if it was every week I would be a crumbling mess. Thankfully only 3 monthly at this point. Blood tests on the other hand are a different story! My veins are already quite scarred and it has only been going 9 months. Wonder how intravenous ( non legal) drug users cope?

Ronnie said...

S, hope the results are what we all hope.

R

Melinda said...

You are brave. Even if you don't do it every week, but every three months. I had one done last fall and I had to really, really psyche myself up ahead. I practiced breathing techniques and everything because I am claustrophobic. I kept my eyes shut and sang the ABC song in my head over and over again. I survived, but just barely. I started itching and twitching and desperately wanted to wiggle.

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

The first MRI I had, I made the mistake of peeking from behind the eyemask just as I was being pulled out of the tunnel...the sight of the tunnel walls so close freaked me out completely, but I thought...that's okay, it's all over now. Little did I know I'd have to go back for another one, with the memory of that peek firmly burned into my minds-eye! I think you are amazing, making it through 3-monthly ones.

joanne said...

well done you on getting through that.fingers crossed for some positive results x