What better way to spend a fabulous Sunday morning than cheering on hundreds of wonderful people participating in Beat the Boat to Help Beat Stroke. TeamSAK discovered this fundraising event by chance while reading pamphlets at the council swimming pool yesterday where Kingsley has her lessons.
According to the Stroke Foundation pamphlet, stroke is Australia's second single greatest killer and one of the serious risks I faced while on the operating table for my brain tumours.
The event offered various challenges: Fun Run -10km and 3 km, Walk -3km and catered for all fitness levels. The event is unique in that it challenges participants to race a boat along the Yarra River. It is held during the Moomba Festival ( which I'm sure will be the subject of other posts by Melbournite bloggers this weekend).
TeamSAK walked to our favourite cafe called Kanteen which is on the banks of the Yarra and Beat the Boat course. We got an outdoor table, decaf coffee or fruit juice each and raspberry muffin ( to share). S is well versed in cheering on athletes having supported Ahubby in his triathlon career , including a few times at the holy grail the Hawaiian Ironman Triathlon World Championships. Some of my better chants today was : Going great number 8 1 8!!!
Disappointing that I was the only one of the latte sipping crowd clapping runners, shouting out encouragement to everyone and especially to those who needed a little help. The reward was the acknowledgement from the competitors with a friendly wave, a smile of thanks or raise of the arms! A small child on the table next me finally joined the action and clapped as well. He was thrilled when people waved at him. Giving support to those fantastic people raising funds for research into stroke prevention was the least TeamSAK could do given we didn't run ourselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You were giving toward the cause in a different kind of way. Well done for cheering the runners on!
Good on you. It's always a good feeling to get behind a good cause. Every little bit counts.
The other patrons were probably too focused on getting themselves a table to be distracted by cheering!
I probably would have been too focused on the raspberry muffin! I would have been cheering them on too. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut. Can you tell? :-)
That was me, not Rob! so sorry! I forgot he was logged in instead of me.
Post a Comment