Friday, 15 June 2007

Critical comments

I was almost too scared to post today without getting the entry vetted by a member of the legal profession.

Critiques and reviews may be a thing of the past if the latest ruling from the High Court is anything to go by. A report on page 3 of today’s Age newspaper reports that the Court determined that a bad restaurant critique and low rating was defamatory.

How far will this be extended? Can I sue those readers who rate my blog as less than satisfactory or pithy and in the course of doing so ruin my (non existent!) reputation! Could this kill off freedom of speech? Can I have an opinion that may offend some people? More importantly how will I choose a restaurant in future?

Maybe I should put a caveat on this blog that you read at your own risk and TeamSAK will not be held liable for any potentially critical comment.

1 comment:

Pajamas said...

S, just remember how blogs came to be from my blog "To blog or not to blog that is the question". YOu have right of free speech, but to some degree your blog is your own life in words that you choose to share with others.