Wednesday, 13 June 2007

Presence not Presents

Is it wrong to dread the aftermath from birthday parties knowing that you will spend the next week writing thank-yous either for yourself or your underage child? Or trying to find space in the cupboards for the generous gifts or in the recycle box for the glossy wrappings?

Ahubby and S will be planning a belated joint celebration for a significant multiple of decades birthday party. We want to let what’s left of our age and chemo depleted hair down, party with our friends and family and celebrate. I also want to request no presents which poses the dilemma we face.

Maybe it is forward to assume that we will get any in the first place? Thankfully the precedence has been set with a friend that found the sensitive way of asking people who wished to give to donate to a favourite charity instead.

The amazing thing is that now the school captain of Kingsley’s junior school has also asked guests to donate money instead of presents at a recent birthday. This less than teenage aged child proudly raised more than $7,000. Either the guest list would have filled a stadium or the child is in a different socio economic demographic to the impoverished TeamSAK. Either way a commendable initiative !

7 comments:

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

I was thinking of suggesting the same thing to Queenie this year - raise funds for a worthy cause rather than fill the shelves with stuff she really doesn't need, but I was assuming that would amount to around $64.50 if she invited the whole class! $7,000!!! For that child's 21st the tally could probably end world poverty.

M said...

We considered the presence not presents approach for KelpieBlossom's birthday this year however this was met with cries of "not fair", we LIKE to bring presents, I'll bring a present anyway etc.

I think the donate to charity option is a good one.

Anonymous said...

My hubby's cousin turned 21 last year and did this as her Mum was having Breast Cancer treatment. Worked a treat and raised plenty of much need research money. Not $7000 though.

R

XX

eLLe said...

Ok, best let me know when and where the belated celebrations are to be ... perhaps the presence present can form its own charity and we all share in the $7K stake. Until then I'll be happy to turn 21 again!!

Kelly said...

I heard one kids party they gave money or gifts to a children's charity in the birthday child's honor.

Pajamas said...

I will call "Presence not Presents" a concept. Having been brought up in a European family, this concept is unheard of, or just not heeded. Even when people visit to have a chat and catch up something is presented. Speaking for myself I would say that liquid presnts of the 10+ year single malt variety are always welcome. Last we contemplated asking for donations to a worthy cause instead of flowers at my father's funeral. You wouldn't hear this in any other community, but we had people say that "you don't knwo whether it is really going to the cause". Having been brought up in an unconventional English speaking European background family I can't could not get over how people think.

Anonymous said...

bloody hell $7000??? thats amazing.... that smells of goody toeshoes to me!!!!!