Tuesday, 10 July 2007

8 Random Things

In mid June, just after S became a beginner blogger , I was tagged by Fairlie for a “8 Random Things” meme. First things first- Being a newbie I needed to find out just what it all meant. Thanks to M over at Eastern Max who was tagged at the same time the research is done ! In line with my pithy approach I’ll refer you below.

The second problem was finding 1 thing let alone 8 random things remotely interesting to share. Hence the delay in responding to being tagged.

1 ) I am always full of good intentions. Before Kingsley was born I bought a sewing machine with the aim of using it to save money while I was training as a Domestic Goddess . Well I saved money as I didn’t buy any material! The best laid plans often go astray and I am pleased to say the machine, complete with original plastic wrapping, finally went to a deserving home - ( Fairlie’s!) . For the record I did earn an A grade for textiles/needlecraft in high school so it wasn’t for lack of talent the box remained unopened.

2) If I was a Spice Girl it would have been the sporty one. I temporarily held my high school open age javelin record, won a medal at the Girl Guides Mini Olympics in freestyle swimming , played senior tennis whilst a junior, was senior sport captain at school, represented the school in badminton and basketball and won an annual club girl award in the after school Physical Deportment class.

3) Gardening is not my strong point as I am all for survival of the fittest. I manage the garden along the lines of Darwin’s Theory of Evolution. What survives will survive!

4 ) Much to Ahubby’s annoyance I am anal about punctuality. I have never had my name called out to board a plane as the gate is closing.

5) Debt is not good. The fiscal philosophy has always been if you can’t afford to pay cash then you can’t afford it. Taking out the first ( in hindsight very tiny) housing loan caused months of sleeplessness nights.

6) Am an absolute tight arse when it comes to spending money on myself ( 50 cent knickers from the Bonds Factory warehouse etc) but love to splurge on family and friends. Pride myself on choosing exciting, unusual but appropriate birthday ,Christmas and surprise gifts.

7) My previous working career took me to some amazing places and experiences. These included touring the killing floor of an abattoir, meeting Mick Jagger at a Rolling Stones concert after party, being technical editor of an university text book and chairing a presentation in front of 1000 people.

8) I am humbled and blessed to have such great supportive friends and family who have made this year a little easier. Despite a lot of bad luck with the shock diagnosis I am still very lucky.



To complete this entry I will tag Ronnie at FindingGoodHealth.



*Meme: n. A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. (source: dictionary.com)
A blog meme is a type of Internet meme that requires active participation by the blogger and rarely traces back to an originating source. It's often a series of questions that a blogger answers to share some personal perspective or experience on random topics. (source: Quixtar)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh NO!!! I was reading this hopeing like mad that no one would ever tag me. I am so bloody illiterate.

It may take some time.

Ronnie

XX

Anonymous said...

I thought you were the Posh Spice

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

What's that saying about the road to hell? (...is paved with good intentions?)

I, for one, am very appreciative of your lack of follow through on the sewing intention. That machine has been extremely handy: everything from baby throw quilts to platypus costumes and superhero capes.

M said...

Ah yes, I remember the exciting and thoughtful gift of 114 pieces of play food given to KelpieBlossom for her 2nd birthday...

Team SAK said...

M- you proved my point. Even after all these years you remember the memorable gift. I bet Kelpie Blossom loved playing with them all and packing them up!

M said...

Actually, I think it may have been me packing them up (which is why I remember them so well):-)

However, I must admit the food is still played with quite regularly (restaurants are the main game now)so you definitely gave value.