Wednesday, 18 July 2007

The Knitter's Snag

Wstar is very talented but has only taken up knitting garments recently. She successfully completed a jumper which MOS helped her sew up. I will post a photo later. Filled with confidence Wstar is now attempting another more difficult jumper.

Things were going well until yesterday. The expletives that were emitted would have shocked a 'wharfie". The expensive top branded wool had broken in the middle of a row. Wstar had to unpull the remainder and restart when she encountered not one but two knots in the wool in the space of 20 cm.

We located a phone number to ring the wool manufacturer. The customer service consultant was very accommodating and understanding. Wstar will be providing a detailed written report, wool manufacturing band and examples of the split and knotted sections. Doesn't help her in the middle of the back section of knitting though!

The interesting thing was that the woman said it was not uncommon to have knots in the balls of wool. I don't do that much knitting but haven't come across knots before. Any of you crafty readers noted similar problems?

5 comments:

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Oh yes...that's me...crafty-knitter-extrodinaire! The last two items I knitted, I encountered the knot in the middle of the ball on both occasions. They just don't make yarn ike they used to.

Anonymous said...

HHMMM, I thought that only happened with the $2 balls I crochet with.

Ronnie

Anonymous said...

Of course there are knots in the middle of the balls of wool.
How else do you think they join the wool from one sheep to the next!!

Anonymous said...

Team SAK, I need to clarify a couple of points regarding Wstar.

1) Wstar is extremely (not very) talented.
2) Are you sure the expletives were coming from Wstar. This suprises me.
3) Wstar has been knitting & crocheting for a while now. You want scarf lady?

OK, the jumpers are a step up from scarfs however last winter saw the creation of the 5' x 6' crotchet rug which I must say, came up a treat when finished (and is very warm).

As I say to Wstar; don't worry, if you're not sure just get MOS to fix it. And don't worry, Wstar will sort out the manufacturer!!

Anonymous said...

If the manufacturer didn't tie wool together with knots the balls would be all different sizes and then each ball would be priced differently.

... but then WStar would get to do the knotting as well as the knitting.