S has had a pen pal for over 30 years.We were randomly allocated each other through the Girl Guide movement when we were only Brownies . We have conversed the old fashioned way with pen and paper, travelled around the world, shared stories of school, romances, weddings and children, family dramas but have only met twice. Both times in England. These days we supplement our very sporadic written exchanges with emails and phone calls. Ingrid is ex South Africa and now a naturalised UK resident.
In today's electronic era of message boards, sms and email is the era of Pen Pals over? S confesses an addiction to fine writing implements and owns more than one premium pen! OK more than 10 ! Am particularly fond of my gold tip fountain pens. There is nothing as personal as a handwritten note on good quality paper.
Must go and answer the 12 emails that just arrived. Electronically of course!
3 comments:
I LOVE fountain pens but confess that my letter writing days are probably over. Sad isn't it,and I used to be such a good letter-writer, but the lure of the computer is just too great.
I never was a pen-fetish girl...but i do love writing letters, and even when I was young (i.e 13 or 14) used to type them if i got a chance. At Christmas, I still send 'letters' by snail mail that I have written and edited on a computer - even to people I have e-mail addresses for.
It's sad that opening the mail box nowadays usually reveals nothing more exciting than bank statements, bills and marketing materials!
Ingrid here,...how times have changed... My children (boys aged 11 & 9 - Where have the years gone!) HAVE to write with a fountain pen at school - teaches them to be neat apparently - lots of messy ink-stains on hands & clothes though. Hot sweaty hands also makes the ink run. They are also a dab hand at typing - often faster than their Mum!
S - I still have the founatin pen you gave me one year we met in London - must have been 1993?
Post a Comment